The good news about the Christmas cactus is that it is not harmful to our pets. The other important thing to know is that it’s not a cactus at all. It’s a plant called an epiphyte, and it doesn’t have spines like a cactus does, so it won’t hurt your pet.
What to Do If Your Dog Eats a Christmas Cactus
If your dog thought the Christmas cactus looked good enough to eat, you should call your vet right away. Even if it’s okay to keep an eye on your pet, it’s always best to let your vet know. The vet may tell you to bring your pet in even if the symptoms aren’t too bad, just to be safe.
Read More: Five Benefits of Loving Your Dog
What Holiday Plants Are Poisonous to Dogs?
Even though the Christmas cactus isn’t dangerous to eat, many other holiday plants are much more dangerous if eaten. Some of these plants are:
- Christmas tree
Many more plants are toxic or, at the very least, will make your pets sick if they eat them, so make sure you do some research before bringing new plants into the house.
If you know that your pet has eaten a plant, especially one that could be poisonous, you should call your vet right away for advice and have the number of the local emergency clinic on hand, just in case. Call as soon as you think something might be wrong.
How to Keep Dogs Safe During the Holiday Season
There are many ways to enjoy the greenery of the holidays without putting your pets in danger. One way is to choose plants like the Christmas or Easter cactus that are safe for pets. These come in different colours, can be small and compact or grow quite big, and are safe even if your pet decides to nibble on them.
Place plants that are mostly non-toxic but may cause irritation of the digestive tract out of reach of your pets. This could mean putting it on a shelf, like a poinsettia, or putting up a pet fence, like a Christmas tree. In the right situation, you could even put up an invisible fence inside to keep your pet safe and protect your plants.